Recipe by Heartwood Restaurant
- 1 lb (454g) dry kamut or gluten-free rice macaroni noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup nutritional yeast, plus more for sprinkling
- ½ to 1 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- Heat olive oil in a medium-large pot and cook onion on medium-low heat until translucent. Add red pepper, sweet potato, celery, and water. Cook until vegetables are tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Purée cooked sweet potato mixture with an immersion blender, or in a regular blender, until smooth. Stir in Dijon mustard, turmeric, salt, pepper, and ½ cup nutritional yeast. Turn off heat.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Cook macaroni noodles according to package directions.
- Drain and toss with sweet potato purée mixture. Add noodles to 9 x 13 baking dish, and top with gluten-free breadcrumbs. Bake 15 minutes and serve hot with more nutritional yeast for sprinkling.
VEGETARIAN OPTION: Top with 1 cup of grated white cheddar before baking.